Self dispcline Has many definitions. Some of thee are:
And my personal favorite:
According to many experts, self-discipline is a broad term that can be used in place of perseverance, restraint, endurance or thinking before you act. Most people associate self-discipline with denying themselves the best but actually, when you get to know why self-discipline is important you see why this attitude is far from the truth.
What causes indiscipline
Let’s face it when you have no self-control you are actually out of control. You might think that you are in charge but you are not running the show. Let us take a look at some of the things that could be making you susceptible to lack of discipline.
- Lack of awareness. This is actually said to be one of the main reasons for a lack of self-discipline. The affected areas are our thoughts and imagination. We are unaware that what grabs the attention or what we feed our minds on can do hurt us physically and mentally. Be aware of what is happening in your environment and filter out the negative.
- Love for the wrong things. We eventually become what we love. What do you desire, what are you going after? Are you chasing after it and by so doing forsaking everything else. Love should be healthy and balanced meaning it should not be leaving other things unattended.
Why do I need self-discipline
Many people do not like dwelling on this subject since they know it is all about getting out of the comfort zone. You need to know that being comfortable no good in the long run. You need to know that discipline does you more good than harm.
Benefits of self-discipline
- No procrastination or laziness. A self-disciplined person knows the power of time and works with a sense or urgency. They are able to keep pursuing things wth persistence until they achieve them
- The world can be a better place with people who exercise self-moderation. You are able to persevere through almost everything. You are patient and stress will be kept at bay since it is not easy to get under your skin. You keep your cool no matter the pressure.
- Self-discipline is a sign of maturity. You are focused, you know the value of time, relationships, and first impressions. These are the elements that increase your value as a person.
How can I cultivate self-discipline
Like everything else, self-discipline is something that can be cultivated and exercised. The more you practice the easier it will to do things you want to do and shake off procrastination. The following actions should get you started.
- Get rid of the temptations. The mantra here is out of sight, out of mind. Remove anything that serves the role of distraction so that you can solely focus on your goal.
- Give yourself a break and rewards. Do not be too hard on yourself. Rest and refresh yourself so that you can continue on a stronger note. When you achieve a goal kindly give yourself a pat on the shoulder.
All the successful people you see in the world today have a sort of success regiment and one of the main ingredients is self-discipline.
Is never too late, take action now, it’s okay to change your new year resolution and pursue self-discipline. You will never regret it.